Train Tripping Around Sydney


Sydney has long been a favourite city of mine, and having lived just north of Sydney during my childhood I have many fond memories of visiting the city by train on day excursions. But that was almost 30 years ago. A lot has changed since then, especially when it comes to Sydney's trains. So for the third installment of my Train Tripping Series, I thought it was about time to revisit Sydney and see how much I could explore by train over a 3 day period in February, 2015. And this time I took my wife along for the adventure!


Thanks to Wyndham Vacation Resorts, we were provided with 3 nights free accommodation, and some cheap discount fares with Tigerair soon had us landing at Sydney Domestic Airport for 3 days of riding trains around the city. Playing tourist on a strict budget saw us pre-ordering an Opal card online a month before our trip and loading it with just $60 which proved enough for the journeys I have outlined in my book. Visiting places such as Hawkesbury River, the Blue Mountains and Kiama by train saw us stepping off at some of Australia's best known landmarks and discovering some budget savvy ways to explore Sydney. From the world's steepest railway, to the ghostly cobble-stoned streets of The Rocks, we packed 3 days with enough memories to last a lifetime!

With my previous adventure Train Tripping Coastal Queensland already nominated for a 2015 Global eBook Award, my Sydney railway adventure ended up being a much longer book thanks to the many different places that we visited. In total we covered 574 km by train in just 58 hours. Whether you are only dreaming of one day visiting Sydney, or a local keen to see what is waiting to be discovered in your own backyard, this self-guided railway adventure will provide you with enough information to make this adventure your own, yet still reads like a great book.

So what happens when you cross Skippy the bush kangaroo, a mysterious Aboriginal legend, the ghost of Sydney's Harbour Bridge and a man they couldn't hang? You get this funny yet informative 574 km self-guided railway adventure that is the perfect travelling companion for exploring Sydney from the comfort of a train. So welcome aboard my third Train Tripping adventure. Train Tripping Around Sydney. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the ride.


 

Available now through my Books page

Comments

Popular Posts