2022 RMCQ Book Appearance

Set up early for my first book appearance in 9 years!

It's been a long time between drinks. So much so that Sunday November 6, 2022 was my first public book appearance in 9 years. After drawing the curtains closed on promoting my novels back in October 2013, here I was 9 years later promoting my latest model railway book at the Railway Modellers Club of Queensland Open Day in Brendale, Brisbane.


An inside look at the Railway Modellers Club of Queensland's huge layout!

The RMCQ's clubrooms in the northern suburbs of Brisbane hosts a great setup for model train buffs, with both N scale and HO scale layouts along with an impressive outdoor G scale garden layout. After concentrating on self-producing my own railway and model railway books in the years that have followed my four novels, I felt it was time to take to the tracks with making a one-off public appearance to promote my books in person. A model train Open Day and Buy and Sell is a great opportunity to meet people in person, talk about my books and what I'm working on next, plus have a general browse at what is a veritable treasure trove for bargain hunters.

The day was such a success, that I'm already thinking of doing it again next year!

Unlike my previous regular visits to model railway buy and sell days, this time I was on the other side of the table, selling and not buying. Along with a huge display of my books, I also took this as an opportunity to clean-out my wardrobe of any unwanted models, and some of my weathered models which I detail and sell alongside my books on my eBay store. In what was a pleasant surprise, I easily made twice as much in sales of my own books as I did the few models I had for sale on the day.

The members of the RMCQ are a wonderful group of people, and made me feel welcome on the day. I've come to know a few of the members personally over the years of being involved in the hobby, and the club's membership form is still sitting at the bottom of my desk tray waiting for the day where I actually have the time to do something like join a club. With a successful day behind me, and another book in the production stage, you can rest assured that I will do another such open day book sale in 2023!

Comments

Popular Posts