My Gold Coast Getaway


It had been a long time since my wife Denise and I had stayed a night on the Gold Coast, 11 years in fact. The last time we visited for a weekend away both our children were still in High School. Both are now married. So in the spirit of both being fifty-something empty nesters, we hit the highway south of Brisbane for a night on Australia's glitter strip. And boy... hasn't a lot changed since we were there last?


We kicked things off with a long lunch at the Fishermans Wharf Tavern (above) on the Broadwater, for a bit of winter sun and boat watching, before checking into the Mantra Crown Towers. I've always wanted to stay here, and for dinner we booked a table for two at Chiangmai Thai restaurant which was located downstairs by the pool. It's not surprising that things like this are a lot more affordable now that we don't have two kids in tow.

The cavernous interior of the Crown Towers, Surfers Paradise.

Chiangmai Thai restaurant, Crown Towers, Surfers Paradise.

Located in the heart of Surfers Paradise, our stay was situated beside the G-Link light rail. Right outside the resort's gates was the Cypress Avenue stop, but we chose instead to walk the few blocks to Cavill Avenue and spot what had changed along the way. In short, aside from the G-Link tracks that now command the majority of Cypress Avenue, a lot was different, yet not a lot had changed. I think we walked past the same discount tourist souvenir store trumping the same "bargains, bargains, bargains" recorded message that we heard back in 1993. Only in a economically challenged post-pandemic world, there were more empty storefronts lining the footpath than the last time we were here, and I found myself repeating the phrase 'I remember when' a lot!

The G-Link light rail goes right past the Mantra Crown Towers on Cypress Avenue.

The Clock Tower Hotel at Surfers Paradise, with the Crown Towers highrise centre in the background.

32 years after coming to Surfers Paradise on a date, here we are again in 2023.

Surfers Paradise for my wife and I, has always been a place we associated with our dating days in the early 1990's, back when I had just moved to Queensland from country Victoria in 1991. We must have ventured south for a day and evening out at least once a month. Living just up the highway from a holiday destination that my friends from my younger days had always bragged about visiting once, still has its advantages in 2023. Yet here I was all these years later with my wife of 30 years, enjoying a weekend away sans children, and still talking about our kids and the fact that 2023 will see us become Grandparents for the first time. I felt as though our life has changed just as much as the landscape.

So from the customary photo in Cavill Avenue of the Surfers Paradise sign, to exploring the beachfront markets, we trouped around some familiar haunts and reminisced about what used to be here or there before they built something new and bigger in its place. That's Surfers Paradise for you... a city that is constantly changing the same things.

And finishing up with a trip on the G-Link to Broadbeach South for some retail therapy.

Come next morning, a short trip aboard the G-Link took us to Broadbeach South and the giant Pacific Fair shopping centre. We went past a long-gone restaurant where I once had my 21st Birthday, and arrived at a shopping centre that is now ten times the size since we used to make a day of driving down for a day of shopping. These days I just like to get in and out, and am more interested in food and coffee than expensive items. Which is just as well, as every luxury brand like Versace, Louis Vuitton, Prada and so on seems to have set up store there.

So we brunched, had a coffee and got eyed suspiciously when we paused infront of the Gucci store. I guess in their defense I wasn't dressed the part. If only they knew I was the Author of over 20 books instead of mistaking me for a grey-haired Poppy to be, things might have been different. Then again, who am I kidding? I'll take Poppy to be anyday of the week! A short ride back to the resort and a midday checkout later, and we were back on the highway headed home. I'm glad we gave the Gold Coast another look after all those years!

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts